Authorities in the Maldives say four missing divers are believed to be trapped inside an underwater cave in Vaavu Atoll after one member of the group was found dead during an intensive search operation on Wednesday.
The incident involves five Italian tourists who had been diving near Alimathaa while staying aboard the foreign-operated liveaboard vessel Duke of York. According to officials, the group entered the water in the morning but failed to return to the surface hours later, prompting alarm among the crew.
Police said they received reports of the missing divers at around 1:45 p.m. local time. A large-scale search and rescue effort was then launched involving the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF), Coast Guard personnel, and nearby safari divers.
Diver’s Body Discovered Inside Deep Underwater Cave
In a statement released by the MNDF, officials confirmed that the first diver was located at approximately 6:13 p.m. by divers assisting in the search mission.
The body was discovered around 60 metres (197 feet) below the surface inside an underwater cave system. The deceased diver’s body has since been transported to Fulidhoo Health Centre in Vaavu Atoll.
“The body was found approximately 60 metres underwater inside a cave. The remaining four missing divers are believed to be inside the cave, which stretches approximately 200 feet,” the MNDF said.
The military described the ongoing recovery mission as highly dangerous due to the depth and structure of the cave. Specialized diving equipment and additional Coast Guard resources have now been deployed to the scene.
The MNDF Coast Guard vessel Ghaazee is expected to remain in the area until the operation is completed.
Police Retract Earlier Statement
Confusion emerged earlier in the day after police initially announced that all five divers had been found deceased. However, the statement was later withdrawn.
Police clarified that the earlier information had been released mistakenly by the search team. Officials stressed that only one diver has been officially located so far, while efforts to find the remaining four continue.
The conflicting reports added to growing concern surrounding the incident, which has attracted international attention.
Italian Foreign Ministry Reports Five Deaths
Meanwhile, international media outlet AFP reported that Italy’s Foreign Ministry stated all five Italian nationals involved in the dive had died.
“Following an accident that occurred during a scuba diving trip, five Italian nationals have died in the Vaavu Atoll, in the Maldives,” AFP quoted the ministry as saying.
The ministry further indicated that the divers were believed to have been exploring caves at a depth of around 50 metres when the incident occurred.
Maldivian authorities, however, have not yet officially confirmed the deaths of the remaining four divers.
Deep Cave Diving Carries Serious Risks
The tragedy has also raised questions about deep recreational diving practices in the Maldives. Under local regulations, recreational scuba diving is generally permitted to a maximum depth of 30 metres (98 feet).
Diving beyond that range significantly increases risks, including nitrogen narcosis, rapid air consumption, decompression sickness, and disorientation, especially inside underwater caves where visibility and escape routes can quickly become limited.
As rescue crews continue operations in difficult conditions, the incident is shaping up to be one of the most serious diving accidents reported in the Maldives in recent years.
